Since our last update in August, we have both been focusing on working out how we are going to use the information we have collected and continue to collect at the record office in our theses. Terrifyingly, we are now in the second year of our three years of funding. Alice presented her field-name research at the… Continue reading November Project Update
Out of curiosity, Helen decided to investigate the law about dog ownership circa 1700. The Quarter Sessions at Staffordshire Record Office could easily take a huge amount of time to study looking for anything relevant to flooding, but I knew they were likely to be quite a rich source. I decided to create myself a… Continue reading Digging Up C17th Legislation on Dogs
We are looking for one or two volunteers to examine two sets of eighteenth century mill accounts from Burton-on-Trent and Stafford to reconstruct expenses and grain prices over short (roughly five to ten year) periods. This will help the historic flooding and drought project, raise the profile of the accounts in the Record Office’s collection,… Continue reading LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS: 17th and early 18th century mill accounts
I've attempted to enhance all the images used so that details are clearer (with mixed success), so colour saturation and contrast are not exactly as in the original documents. I've been on a couple of holidays on canals in narrow boats so am very familiar with operating lock gates - opening and closing the gates, and… Continue reading 19th century flood gates in Trentham
An update from Alice on what the volunteers looking at weather in diaries and letters have been looking at and what they are finding. Elizabeth Hervey Diaries We have already done a couple of blogs on the Elizabeth Hervey diaries (see here and here), and they are turning out to be a fantastic source of weather… Continue reading What have our volunteers been up to?
We thought it would be a good time for another quick update on what we have been up to, and what we have planned in the next few months. Happily, our annual progression reviews at the university (which we mentioned in our last project update in May) went well, and we have the go ahead to… Continue reading August Project Update
One of the sources I've been interested in is the accounts of Burton mills, which a work experience placement was kind enough to begin working on for me last week. They cover about five years early in the 1700s and include week-by-week grain sales, wages, and expenses (particularly for horses). So far there has been… Continue reading How things work (or not): measuring volumes of grain